Bandung Independent School

EduCativ

At Bandung Independent School, we focus relentlessly on one thing: Learning. We believe that whether you are age two or ninety-two, the work of learning is never done. As society rapidly evolves, the knowledge and subjects of today may be soon eclipsed by the technology and needs of tomorrow. Preparing for the future thus requires a different approach to education – one that focuses on developing the passion and skills to keep learning independently long after graduation.
As an IB World School, we believe students learn best by investigating their questions, designing their inquiries, and conducting their research, experimentation, and analysis in the pursuit of deeper understanding. Children are natural-born learners, and our primary role as Educators is to ignite and cultivate their curiosity, and then… get out of their way! In measuring their success, we focus on attitudes, skills, and knowledge – in that order – while defining unfailingly high expectations for each of these. This process is inherently personal and must recognize that learners require the freedom and support to develop their unique passions. More broadly, the BIS community flourishes because we attract passionate faculty and families, help each other to refine our skills, and provide opportunities to uniquely contribute to the success of our organization.
When you join the BIS community, learning is inevitable in large part because of the diversity of our community and our dedication to internationalism. With students, families, and faculty hailing from two dozen countries, our school is built upon the principles of open-mindedness, tolerance, and intercultural understanding and respect. We strive to create a safe environment in which all community members feel can develop the courage to push the limits of their learning, fall forward, and embrace the lessons of failure as we strive together to make the world a better place.
So what are my own learning goals these days? I’d like to read at least 25 books for pleasure this year (last year I only made it to 21!) I’m meeting up with other musicians to try to revive my long-dormant guitar skills. And I’m more personally keen than ever to learn about the developmental needs of infancy and early childhood, as my wife and I have recently had our first child!
Whether you are a prospective student, future parent, or an aspiring faculty member, we’d like to know more about what you are interested in learning. At BIS, you are not just choosing a school, you are choosing a community. Welcome to Bandung Independent School.
BIS opened its doors in 1972 in a converted house in Ciumbuleuit. Always a parent-run, non-profit school, BIS is now in its 45th year serving expatriate and local families in Bandung, and now educates nearly 200 students on a 1.2 hectare campus just north of the city center.

View full school