Military Academy of Lithuania

EduCativ

In 1949, through Jonas Žemaitis, a graduate of the Military School, the Lithuanian Partisan Movement was finally united. In February, he was elected the Chairman of the Presidium of the Council of the Movement of the Struggle for Freedom of Lithuania (according to the Declaration of the Council of the Movement of the Struggle for Freedom of Lithuania of February 16, 1949, after the Restoration of Independence of Lithuania, the Chairman of the Presidium held the position of the President of the Republic of Lithuania).
That year Jonas Žemaitis was commissioned as the Partisan General and led the movement until his betrayal on May 30, 1953, when his bunker was discovered. He was concussed by a grenade and arrested. In June 1954, Jonas Žemaitis was sentenced to death in a closed session and executed on November 26 in Butyrka prison in Moscow. His words, spoken after the sentence was pronounced, have come true.
“Just like the followers of mine, I think that the Soviet Union invaded our country with its armed forces… I consider this step of the Soviet government illegal. All the underground anti-Soviet activities, a participant of which I am, I consider righteous and non-criminal. I want to emphasize that as long as I have been leading the Lithuanian struggle for freedom, I have been making every effort to stick to the principles of humanity… No strenuous activities have been allowed... I am aware of the sentence to be pronounced. Still, I believe that the fight I have been leading for nine years will achieve the desired outcomes”.
On September 15, 2014, the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education accredited The General Jonas Žemaitis Military Academy of Lithuania for the most extended term possible, i.e., six years. Prepared by the review team, the Institutional Review Report identified strengths, good practice, and recommendations for improvement.
According to Article 40 Paragraph 2 of the Law on Higher Education and Research of the Republic of Lithuania, the quality of research (artistic) activities and studies is ensured through the internal systems of quality assurance of higher education and research institutions, external assessment, and accreditation of study programs, external assessment of research activities and external assessment and accreditation of higher education and research institutions.
To improve the quality of research and study activities and implement reporting, the Ministry of Education and Science initiates external assessments carried out by the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education every six years.
The Research and Higher Education Monitoring and Analysis Centre performs actual resource assessment based on a financial statement, official statistical data, and survey results received at a higher education institution. It also carries out a conformity assessment with guest experts from other countries when an institution completes self-evaluation and submits the report to the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education. A decision on assessment and accreditation is made based on assessment results.
Public relations is one of the critical areas of the General Jonas Žemaitis Military Academy of Lithuania and the whole National Defence System. The Military Academy of Lithuania cooperates actively with public institutions and non-governmental organizations. It cultivates relations with foreign military training establishments, thus contributing to national identity and civic education.
The General Jonas Žemaitis Military Academy of Lithuania holds different events, including meetings with famous persons, book, film, and exhibition presentations, Doors Open Day, excursions, exhibitions, and camps for schoolchildren students. The visitors are familiarized with the study programs, rules of acceptance, and requirements for selection to the Military Academy of Lithuania, etc. The Academy annually attends the exhibition on studies and career held at the Lithuanian Exhibition and Congress Centre LITEXPO and higher education institutions’ fair in Kaunas.
The General Jonas Žemaitis Military Academy of Lithuania welcomes schoolchildren and students and organizes special excursions and exhibitions. The cadets frequently attend meetings with schoolchildren at the secondary schools and gymnasiums. The meetings aim to familiarize schoolchildren and school-leavers with the acceptance procedure and studies at the Military Academy of Lithuania, peculiarities of military service, and cherished traditions by the Lithuanian Armed Forces.

View full university