St Vincent's College is a non-selective, contemporary Catholic day and boarding school for girls. The current ethos and approach believe that an independent education should provide an advantage, not an entitlement.
The College avoids visible ostentation, balances opportunities with responsibilities, and invites students to learn in an informing, transforming, and empowering culture.
The girls treasure this spirit they affectionately call "Vinnies' Spirit." It is hard to define but easy to feel. A sense of optimism, cheerfulness, and with a good dose of quirky!
The motto 'Scientia cum Religione' (knowledge and faith united) calls us to take the wisdom and understanding that comes with education and combine it with the virtues and values of religion – love, compassion, care, justice – so that we may truly live a life modeled on that of Jesus and his concern for people.
Essentially, as we look to a future filled with opportunities for women in Australia, St Vincent's College is all about empowering young women to be independent in thought, compassionate in attitude, and confident to act.
In 1838 their mission extended to Australia, where they began helping those in need, especially Parramatta's convict women. On May 1, 1858, the Sisters of Charity founded St Vincent's School on our present site as a co-educational primary school.
The property, Harmons, was purchased from Sir Charles Nicholson on February 8, 1856, for the Sisters of Charity. They opened a hospital in 1857 and began, in the same building in 1858, a private primary school, St Vincent's Day School. State approval was received in 1861; State aid was granted and continued till 1882. In 1870, the hospital was transferred to Darlinghurst, and in 1871, the Sisters opened a small High School. St Vincent's College is the oldest Catholic girls' school in NSW and the oldest registered girls' school in Australia.
The Sisters believed in the value of a girl's education, the strength of the Catholic faith, and the individual's life-supporting growth. St Vincent's College continues to provide a high standard of education, encouraging excellence, critical inquiry, independence in learning, and above all, commitment to truth and personal integrity.
The brand-new Mark 2:22 Atrium and Vickery Colonnade provide easy access for students and staff as they move between classrooms and other specialist facilities. The design aesthetically blends the old with the new and dramatically enhances the circulation of people and the campus's functionality.
This Centre inspires creativity with bright and spacious facilities, a workshop, and the resources necessary for the diverse design and technology curriculum areas - including wood technology, textile technology, and food technology.
Housed in our heritage Victoria Street building, our Visual Arts Centre incorporates two large studios with mezzanine levels dedicated to the production of Year 12 significant works, providing each student with space and facilities to realize their creative aspirations.
The Boarding House offers modern and comfortable twin-share accommodation from Year 7 to 11 with Year 12 students in single rooms. Our boarders select other shared spaces, including standard rooms, outdoor areas, and the boarders' dining room. All these facilities have been recently refurbished and offer our boarders a bright and relaxed environment.
Modern technology is integrated throughout the College. Our facilities include specialist classrooms for each subject area, five Science Laboratories, Dance and Drama rooms, a well-appointed Learning Resource Centre, a swimming pool, and multi-purpose outdoor courts.