Jump to content

Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre


Recommended Posts

Estonian Academy of Music and Theater is a public university, specialized in music and drama. Students can specialize in all major music and theater fields in Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctoral programs – from organ and harpsichord to jazz and traditional music. In addition to vocalists and instrumentalists, conductors, composers, musicologists, music teachers, and sound engineers are trained in Bachelor's programs.
The mission of the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre is to contribute to the development of a human-centered Estonian society, the spread of a creative mindset, and the preservation of the Estonian language and culture through education in the fields of music and theatre and the promotion of creative and research work.
EAMT values the preservation of the Estonian national culture's inherent values and maintains the academic traditions of European music and theatre education while being open to the latest developments in the world of music and theatre.
EAMT is a public university of music and drama, offering higher education in all major music and theatre fields through Bachelor, Master, and doctoral programs. Although with its approximately 700 students, EAMT is the smallest among six Estonian public universities and university-level higher education institutions internationally. It can be compared to medium-sized music and theatre academies.
Bachelor programs provide training for vocalists and instrumentalists, as well as conductors, composers, musicologists, music teachers, and sound engineers. Master's programs also offer additional education and training in chamber music, accompaniment, contemporary improvisation, and cultural management. The musicians' curricula focus on the soloist, ensemble and orchestral performance or opera music theory and history, as well as other fields in the humanities, are also studied. It is also possible to obtain teaching qualifications.
The Drama School at EAMT (Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre) prepares actors, directors, and playwrights. The students of EAMT can additionally select courses from other Estonian public universities.
In autumn 2011, a joint master's program in traditional music was launched with the University of Tartu, Viljandi Culture Academy. In the following autumn, studies began in two new joint Master's programs: the Music Education program in collaboration with the University of Tartu, Viljandi Culture Academy, and the Cultural Management program in collaboration with the Estonian Business School.
From 2010 to 2013, a two-year joint master's program in contemporary performance and composition offering students an open platform for experimental artistic practice within a European setting was developed under LLP Erasmus Curriculum Development Project. The program consortium includes the Estonian Academy of Music and Theatre, the Royal College of Music in Stockholm, the Conservatoire National Supérieur Musique et Danse in Lyon, and the Hamburg University of Music and Theatre.
All students who are not Estonian citizens or EU citizens (including EEA countries and Switzerland) need a temporary residence permit. EU citizens should obtain a temporary right of residence in Estonia.
Please note that Estonia does not issue a "study visa"; all NON-EU students should apply for a temporary residence permit for studying (TRP). When certain conditions are met, it is possible to apply for C- (short term) or D-visa (long term) to travel to Estonia and apply for a residence permit after arrival.
The visa and residence permit application process will usually begin after the student has been accepted to study on the chosen program and after university has forwarded required acceptance documents.
International students studying in Estonia are not covered by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund (Haigekassa) unless they are employed in Estonia or have the right of permanent residence or a long-term residence permit. Thus, you need to ensure that you have some other health insurance for your study in Estonia.
If you are an EU citizen and have valid health insurance in your home country during your studies in Estonia, you should apply for the EU health insurance card (EHIC) or a substitute certificate of an EU health insurance card (Form E128). You should apply for that from the social service authorities in your home country before arriving in Estonia.
Necessary health care is not always free of charge – the patient's co-payment should be paid according to Estonian tariffs. Therefore, it is recommended also to buy travel insurance from a private insurance company.
Non-EU citizens: There are strict requirements in Estonia for health insurance cover when applying for a residence permit. Having the required health insurance cover is necessary for applying for a temporary residence permit for studying.
A student who has been granted a residence permit for study is not covered by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund. Students can come to Estonia with travel insurance but are required to obtain proper health insurance in Estonia. You have to have an insurance contract guaranteeing that any costs related to your medical treatment as a result of illness or injury during your stay in Estonia will be met.

View full university

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...